Defensive Handgun-1 (DH-1): Defensive Handgun-1 is an introductory defensive handgun course for all new 540 Tactical students. It is a prerequisite for Defensive Handgun-2 (DH-2). It lays the essential foundation for safe, practical and proven gun handling skills in a defensive situation. This course also covers the basic fundamentals of effectively presenting and accurately shooting your handgun. This course is 3 hours.
*Only $60 if taken with any CHL class purchased directly from us*
*Rental gun, holster, magazines and ammo available for $75 with advance reservation.
The skills covered in this class are:
- 3 conditions of all guns
- 3 places your handgun should be- and never anywhere else.
- 4 firearms safety rules and how they apply in any defensive encounter
- 5 fundamentals of accurate shooting
- 4 point presentation
- Verbalization skills
Please bring all handguns to class completely unloaded and in a case or gun bag and leave them there until instructed.
- Must be 21 years of age unless otherwise approved.
- Must be legally able to own and possess a handgun.
- Must be able to provide photo identification to verify age and residency.
- A defensive type handgun in good working condition- no sharing of handguns permitted between students – ideally, we suggest the gun you use for personal/home defense.
- OWB Holster that is designed for the handgun you bring- kydex style retention holsters are recommended.
- 50 rounds of factory new ammunition- ABSOLUTELY NO RELOADS.
- Two magazines for a semi-automatic handgun or 1 speed loader for a revolver.
- Approved shooting safety glasses- must fit over regular eyeglasses if you wear them. No safety goggles permitted.
- Hearing protection- muffs preferred.
- Belt (for your holster).
- Baseball style cap with a bill (protects your face from flying brass).
- Dress comfortable for indoors and outdoors wear layered clothes during winter months for outdoor courses.
- Sturdy outdoor type shoes/boots for gravel and grass. No sandals, flip flops or open toe shoes.