Defensive Shotgun-1 (DS-1): This is a basic level course designed to provide shooters with the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for utilizing a pump action shotgun for defensive purposes safely. This course is 4 hours.
*Rental gun/ammo available for $65 with advance reservation.
The skills covered in this class are:
- 3 conditions of all guns
- 3 places your shotgun should be- and never anywhere else.
- 4 firearms safety rules and how they apply in any defensive encounter
- 5 fundamentals of accurate shooting
- Muzzle orientation for administrative and defensive purposes
- 4 stages of threat awareness
- 5 responses to a threatening encounter
- 5 physiological reactions to a threatening encounter
- Defensive mindset fundamentals
- 4 point presentation
- Verbalization skills
- Please bring all pump action shotguns to class completely unloaded and in a case or gun bag and leave them there until instructed. Please do not bring a semi-automatic shotgun to this course.
- Must be 18 years of age unless otherwise approved.
- Must be legally able to own and possess a shotgun
- Must be able to provide photo identification to verify age and residency.
- A pump action shotgun in good working condition- no sharing of shotguns permitted between students – ideally, we suggest the gun you use for personal/home defense.
- Your pump action shotgun must have a sling.
- 50 rounds of factory new shotgun ammunition- nothing larger than size 6 target, trap or birdshot. ABSOLUTELY NO RELOADS.
- Approved shooting safety glasses- must fit over regular eyeglasses if you wear them. No safety goggles permitted.
- Hearing protection- muffs preferred.
- Baseball style cap with a bill (protects your face from flying brass).
- Dress comfortable for indoors and outdoors wear layered clothes during winter months for outdoor courses.
- Sturdy outdoor type shoes/boots for gravel and grass. No sandals, flip flops or open toe shoes.