NRA First Steps Shotgun: (NRA-FSS) This NRA course is an introductory shotgun orientation designed to provide beginning shooters with an introduction to the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to own and use a specific shotgun model safely. This course is 3 hours.
*Rental gun/ammo available for $65 with advance reservation.
The skills covered in this class are:
- Introduction to shotgun safety, parts and operation
- Introduction to ammunition and the fundamentals of shotgun shooting
- Introduction to shooting at straightaway targets
- Introduction to shotgun cleaning, storage and training opportunities
- Please bring all shotguns to class completely unloaded and in a case or gun bag and leave them there until instructed.
- Must be 18 years of age unless otherwise approved.
- Must be legally able to own and possess a shotgun.
- Must be able to provide photo identification to verify age and residency.
- A shotgun in good working condition- no sharing of shotguns permitted between students – ideally, we suggest the gun you use for personal/home defense.
- 25 rounds of factory new shotgun ammunition- nothing larger than size 6 target, trap or birdshot. ABSOLUTELY NO RELOADS.
- Approved shooting safety glasses- must fit over regular eyeglasses if you wear them. No safety goggles permitted.
- Hearing protection- muffs preferred.
- Baseball style cap with a bill (protects your face from flying brass).
- Dress comfortable for indoors and outdoors wear layered clothes during winter months for outdoor courses.
- Sturdy outdoor type shoes/boots for gravel and grass. No sandals, flip flops or open toe shoes.